a+training is a social enterprise which supplies evidence-based, reasonably priced, applied training courses to parents and professionals delivered by experienced qualified personnel.
We utilize our expertise and experience we have built up to deliver a suite of training courses covering topics from Challenging Behaviour to Social Skills to Developing Communication to Apps for Autism.
Through Drogheda ABACAS School we have built up a network of expertise in Autism and Special Needs. As part of our range of high quality services, we provide training and consultancy to professionals, parents and carers to help children and young people with autism to learn, thrive and achieve. We also regularly get requests for training from both parents and people working in the special needs area.
From this and also from extensive discussions with our parent support group and also our network of 13 schools around Ireland we have built a range of short training courses which can be delivered from the local centre of expertise by appropriately qualified personnel.
Our courses are mainly behavioural as our staff are qualified Behaviour Analysts but we will also have guest speakers and trainers from time to time. Our courses have been developed based on our experience within the Drogheda ABACAS School for children with Autism and also in response to the requests we receive.
Upcoming Courses - these courses are open to all ( Parents, Teachers, Tutors, SNAs, Carers, Support Staff)
Tuesday 15th May - Book HERE
Training Event for Parents, Teachers, Special Needs Assistants and Carers Topic - "Introduction into Autism Spectrum Disorder and Evidence-based Instructional Approaches" This talk will focus a lot on ABA but will also cover other approaches too. Talk delivered by ABACAS Clinical Director Dr Anna McCoy -Donation of €5 requested
Thursday 17th May - No Booking Necessary
- 10.00 Julianstown Community Hall - Benefits and Entitlements talk delivered by Jacinta Walsh, Autism Support Louth&Meath. All Welcome
Thursday 31st May - Book HERE
- Training event for Parents, Teachers, Special Needs Assistants and Carers "Supporting children with ASD Across Environments & Teaching Communication Skills" Delivered by ABACAS Clinical Director Dr Anna McCoy BCBA Donation of €5 requested
A series of 3 talks on how best to support your child in a behaviour outburst, how to stay safe and how to move forward after an incident delivered by Teresa King and Sonia Callaghan.
Talk 1 Monday 3rd October - covers acknowledging your child is an individual -
Talk 2 Monday 17th October - covers the principles of managing crisis -
Talk 3 Monday 14th November - covers understanding why, how to regroup and move on following a crisis -
The courses will be delivered by Catriona Connolly BCBA the Director of Education in Drogheda ABACAS. These courses are open to all (ie not just parents or staff from ABACAS). There are four courses over four weeks, two hours per session. The sessions are linked so it is better if you can attend all four but ok if you have to miss one. Certificates of attendance will be available.
All courses are on Thursday nights from 7.30 to 9.30 in the Drogheda ABACAS School. Dates are July, 7th, 14th, 21st and 28th.
Course Topics are :
Course 1 - Using Visuals to support understanding - how to help children with ASD better understand what is happening and the collateral benefits of that understanding.
Course 2 - Introduction to communication systems similiar to PECS - going through the 6 phases of communication systems similiar to PECS with hands on opportunities to practice how to teach PECS and run corrections
Course 3 - Adaptive Behaviour and Life Skills - how to be an active part in helping a child be as independent as possible as they get older.
Course 4 - Managing Crisis Behaviours - some general information on how to avoid and manage challenging behaviour.
PLEASE BOOK HERE
Benefits of a+training :
- Appropriately qualified trainers.
- Years of hands on experience
- Practical applied courses
- Translate the theoretical to day to day strategies
- Courses can be adapted to meet needs of any particular group
- Suitable for all ages
- Convenient times
Our current/developing course listing includes :
- Introduction to Applied Behaviour Analysis (ABA)
- Communication for People with Autism
- Teaching Play Skills
- Independence & leisure skills for adolescents with autism
- Social skills
- Challenging behaviour
- Barriers to learning – For professionals working with children and young people with severe autism and complex needs
- Pivotal skills that every child needs to succeed
- Autism Awareness for Organisations
- Apps for Autism – Learn to use Technology to help your child with special needs/autism
- Nutrition for Autism and Special Needs
- Red Flags for Autism – MCHAT – What to do then – Course for Childcare Providers
For further information please email firstname.lastname@example.org or contact 087 240 7431